Autumn Fire Safety Tips

Autumn-Fire-Safety-Tips

Fire damage is one of the most dreaded thing that can happen to your home or property. Not only does it completely destroy what it engulfs, but the fire damage restoration & replacement cost is hefty too. It’s best to stay safe and take the necessary precautions to avoid anything like this happening in the first place. Here are some tips & precautions you need to exercise to keep you & your property safe during this autumn.

Outdoors & Surroundings:

  • Do not park your car over a pile of dry leaves. The heat from the catalytic converter or the exhaust down under can ignite the leaves and… BOOM! So avoid doing that.
  • Store all flammable liquids in proper containers and not inside your home or in the garage shed. Properly drain these containers of excess fuel and store them somewhere far from your house. This simple step of keeping the containers away will help in avoiding accidents from any escaping fuel vapours.
  • Don’t forget to remove fuel from lawn mowers before storing them for winter.
  • Check the trees around your house and ensure that they’re clear of power lines. If not, call the concerned authorities and get the issue sorted immediately.
  • Do NOT store cardboard boxes, paper, dry wood and fuel in your backyard. These things are the perfect fuel for fire and all its takes is a tiny spark to start a fire.

Indoors – Heating your home:

  • Check all the smoke & fire alarms in the house to ensure they work fine. Up to 50% of the fires can be avoided if fire alarms work as they are supposed to. Check to make sure that the batteries are charged and change one’s that aren’t.
  • Keep a fire extinguisher at your disposal and within reach of everyone in your home.
  • If you have a central heating system installed in your home, then get it checked and verified by a certified HVAC contractor every year before you begin to use it.
  • In case you have a gas heater in your home, ensure that you have sufficient amount of carbon monoxide detectors installed in your home.
  • Ensure that all space heaters are surrounded by empty space and nothing combustible is kept in their vicinity.
  • If there is a fireplace in your home, ensure that it is covered with appropriate glass or mesh to make sure that sparks do not fly out on the carpet. Coz if they do, you’ll surely have a problem!

Inside your house:

  • Somehow people don’t get this, don’t over load your plugs! Do not use extensions to increase the plugs, this will only overload the parent plug. And this is bound to lead to an electric spark.
  • Keep an eye out for any loose connections on your electrical appliances. Check them regularly to make sure all is okay. Do not leave an appliance on for no reason and make sure it is plugged in where it is supposed to be.
  • Now, let’s talk about candles. Candles would need a category of their own if you ask me! Make sure you extinguish all candles before leaving the room or before going to sleep. A good practice would be keeping candles 10 feet away from anything that can catch fire. Avoid keeping candles where children often run around and they might get knocked over.

Follow these few safety measures and you are sure to greatly reduce the risk of facing fire damage in your house. However, when in need of a fire damage specialist, Bio Cleanse Services is available 24×7 to solve your fire damage problems. We will help you clean, remediate and restore your surroundings to its previous condition. Our team of trained professionals will get the job done in a right and systematic manner. You can reach us on 1300 774 631.